Sunday, October 21, 2012

Modern Day Treasure Hunting

Tom and I are both LOVE going to garage sales. I know they aren't for everyone, but I feel like I am on a treasure hunt every time I go to a garage sale.  I never grew up shopping at yard sales, my mom avoids them like the plague, but to me there is nothing better than getting up on a Saturday morning and scouring other people's junk for my new treasures. A lot of people ask me how I find good stuff at garage sales, when they tend to find junk. Here are some general tips for having a good yard sale experience.
  1. Stick to community, church, non-profit organization sales.
    • I never usually go to a single person's yard sale unless it is super close by, I know the person, or I am looking for something specific. It is just a waste of time to me to drive from house to house when they might not have much stuff. I prefer to go where I know there are many houses/families all having them on the same day so it is more worth my wild. Church and non- profit yards sales are also good because there is a large amount of stuff, plus since it is not the seller's personal items, they are usually much more willing to bargain. My all-time favorite sale is the one held by the Sierra Club at the University of Richmond every May.
    • An easy way to find these yard sales is to search the "garage sale" section of Craigslist and type in "community" "neighborhood" "church" etc.
     2. Go to your dream neighborhood
    • Not really that big of a revelation, but usually the best neighborhoods have the best stuff. Target your shopping in higher-end neighborhoods.
     3. Don't be afraid to haggle, but don't go crazy
    • Usually prices are negotiable, but do it within reason or else you are just going to insult the seller. I am not much of a haggler, but more of a "bundler". I will buy several items and ask if they will take a slightly less price than the price of the three items separately. If you have ever had a yard sale you know there is nothing more obnoxious than someone asking if you will take $1.00 for something marked $5.00 that you paid $75.00 for. Note: This is why I find it much easier to haggle at church/organization yard sales, they just want to make something for the organization, but have no emotional attachment to it.
       4. Use your imagination.
    • This may be the most important tip. It may be hard to see an items potential when it is covered in dirt, on a tarp, and surrounded by other junk, but you have to really envision what it could become with a little elbow grease and some spray paint.
Here is what our car looked like on Saturday...
 


I forgot to get a before picture of my favorite item, but if you look above, you can see the wicker-ish chair to the left. That is an outdoor lounger from Ikea I picked up for $6. Here it is after a wash and a coat of Rustoleum Oil-Rubbed Bronze spray paint.


This is Tom's favorite item. A "vintage" Pepsi cooler we picked up for $1.
 
Here is a HUGE trunk we picked up for $20. it isn't made from the highest quality of wood, but will work perfectly for storage in our closet or garage.
 

Here were a brand new package of place mats with 2 little serving trays for $5.
 
I also am in love with this item. It is some sort of old, large spool. I have big plans for it, I just don't know what they are yet. This puppy set me back $5.

I have been wanting a little tray like this for a while, so for $2 I picked it up.

 

I also got some clothes, dvds, a halloween costume, "Bingo" prize items for my work and a few beach chairs. All and all it was a very successful Saturday.

Did anyone else find some treasures this weekend?

*Again I apologize for the iphone photos, but coming off a depressing Bills loss I just didn't have the energy to take good pictures. At least I have the Gators.....



1 comment: