Saturday, December 29, 2012

I've got the whole world, on my wall...

Not quite how the song goes, but it is the truth. I had a blank space on my living room wall where I have been wanting to hang a large map . It was a rare occurrence, but my boyfriend must have actually listened and lo and behold he got me one for Christmas! It was a National Geographic World Map and it was the perfect size- 46" x 31". Being the wise man that he is he also got me a gift card to Michael's to get it framed. We have been out of town and running around so today was my first chance to get there. There were no standard frames any bigger than 24" x 36" so I was out-of-luck. I inquired about the custom framing because it was 55% off (yeah right!). The price for custom framing, with acrylic instead of glass ranged from $270-370! I thought that was crazy, especially since the map cost less than $25. So I got creative.

Since the map was already laminated, it really didn't need a frame at all, so I picked up some Scotch 3m Velcro pieces and got to work. I simply applied to all four corners, held up the map where I wanted it and then applied the other side and stuff them to the wall. I am not sure how it will affect the paint when I take it off. Hopefully this is no time soon, so I decided not to worry about it. Here is the final product- I love it!!





No comments:

Post a Comment